What is artrepublic?
artrepublic is an art gallery based in Brighton.
How is artrepublic supporting nature and encouraging sustainable practices?
At the artrepublic gallery we understand the responsibility we have as a business to reduce our carbon footprint by taking the steps where possible to become more sustainable and reduce any negative impact we might have on the environment. We are not perfect, but we are making small changes every day to improve our processes and hope to be a fully sustainable business in the very near future.
“We don’t need a handful of people doing zero waste perfectly. We need millions of people doing it imperfectly” – Anne Marie Bonneau
Art is Eco-friendly
Over the years we have become a disposable society and lost the art of buying for life. More people are rejecting this throwaway mindset and making more considered purchases that have more longevity. Owning art is environmentally friendly, energy efficient and easy to maintain. It is not something that needs to be regular serviced like your car or your home, so the initial investment has no extra upcoming costs to consider.
It doesn’t outlive it usefulness or expire. In fact, art gets better with time – often increasing in value it is a more worthwhile investment than buying an abundance of plastic items which will soon lose their charm and end up in landfill.
What we already do
- We offer a rewarding, recycling service where if customers bring back the packaging their artwork came in, they can receive a £10 voucher for their next order (£25 for multiple artworks). That includes any cardboard tubes, foam corners, bubble wrap and paper.
- The packaging we use is reused as much as possible until it is no longer fit for purpose. At this point we recycle our packaging using Brighton Paper Round. www.paper-round.co.uk.
- All the energy we use is from renewable sources.
- We partner with sustainable printers: Generation Press were awarded Environmental/Sustainability company of the year at the Digital Printer Awards
- The frames we use are made from FSC wood – The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) logo on a wood or wood-based product is an assurance that it is made with, or contains, wood that comes from FSC certified forests or from post-consumer waste.
- We go paperless as much as we can – Payslips are emailed to our employees rather than printed and we use our laptops during meetings to avoid printing any documents unnecessarily. Any paper that we do use we make sure we recycle.
- We made the switch to a 100% recycled toilet paper company who donate 50% of their profits to help build toilets and improve sanitation in the developing world.
- We signed up to the Refill scheme – Our Brighton gallery is now one of the locations you can top up your reusable water bottle!
What we are planning to do
- Switch our bubble wrap to a recycled plastic alternative bubble wrap.
- Create a carbon offset for the emissions created by our delivery van.
- Use our influence to encourage the use of sustainable printing methods where possible.
- Improve the recycling and management of waste from the frame production process.
- Continue to find ways of making small changes within the business to become more sustainable